Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Technology Autobiography

Becky Spies
Technology Autobiography

My experience with technology as a user has been moderate. I have had a computer at home for many years, and have kept in touch with friends and family through email for a long time. Most of my computer time is spent researching topics of interest, both personal and professional. Recently I have started downloading pictures from my digital camera onto my computer, and sending them online to be printed at a retail store. I have found that many of my “advances” in technology have come slowly due to the fact that as I first learn new technology, it takes longer to use it than to do it manually (or to do it the old way). But as I become acquainted with the ins and outs, my speed increases rapidly.

Technology in my classroom has been limited in the past few years due to outdated hardware and software. Our hardware at school was updated this year, which has at least helped internet speed. I am excited about the amount of information that is available to my students when they research topics. I believe that students should have access to computers to do research, scan for information and pictures, and type papers, and interact with others outside of our school. I have found that students have a longer attention span when researching on the internet than when researching using books. Also, you can find up-to-date information online, whereas books are, at best, several months old. The one problem that I encounter most often is inappropriate online content. Many of the inappropriate sites are already blocked, but some slip through the cracks. I look forward to discovering new ways to use technology in my classroom to better utilize our computers.

No comments: