Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Response to ch. 1and 2

January 16, 2007
Response to Chapters 1 & 2: Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms.

I like Will Richardson’s excitement about using new technologies in the classroom. It is contagious.

As I started reading the first chapter, I didn’t think I had any experience with creating content on the web, until I realized that I have responded to opinions and ideas from web sites that interest me. It was a powerful feeling to realize that I have contributed to the World Wide Web.

I have used Wikipedia many times in my classroom, but did not know that it was a collaborative web space where anyone can add content. That explains some of the odd language that I found on my last search.

I like the concept of digital natives and digital immigrants. It is fun to see the computer knowledge and comfort in many digital natives (my students).

Being a mother of teenagers and a teacher of teenagers, I am well aware of the frenzy over MySpace. I am glad that Mr. Richardson brought up the fact that “students need to know that any content they create online will become a part of their Web portfolio.” Just like a tattoo, teens need to ask themselves if it will still be desirable/acceptable in ten years.

Question: Are Social Bookmarks and bookmarks from the web tool bar the same thing?

I have never blogged before at home or in the classroom, so chapter 2 was a lot of new information for me. I’m still trying to digest it all. These are the things that excite me about blogs:
Blogs demand interaction
Blogs can be used as an online filing cabinet
Blogs allow you to converse with experts
Blogs allow you to reach out beyond your own little community
Blogging is a conversation, not a monologue

Concern: Some of my students can hardly type (due to learning or emotional disorders), and I wonder how frustrating blogging would be for them. Several of them do okay when it comes to web surfing, but typing and coming up with original ideas are very difficult. I would be interested in talking with anyone who works with similar students to get feedback on how you address these issues.

Thanks for reading! Becky

1 comment:

Will Richardson said...

Hi Becky,

Thanks for reading my book! I'm glad you seem to be getting something out of it. Your students may get more out of creating podcasts or audio recordings (which are discussed later in the book.) Either way, the chance to publish is the important part.

Hope you enjoy the rest!
Will R.